Marchesi Ginori Lisci family

Originally from Calenzano, the Ginori family moved to Florence at the end of the 13th century choosing  the S. Lorenzo quarter. From the 14th century onwards the Ginori family took part in the Republican Government, providing five Gonfaloniers of Justice and twenty-six Priors.

In the 15th century the Ginori owned various houses in the area that is now called Via de’ Ginori; the Palazzo was built, on design of the famous architect  Baccio D’Agnolo, between 1516 and 1520 by Carlo called “Il Vecchio”.

The Ginori were active on the political scene but principally they were great merchants since the times of Carlo “Il Vecchio” who was in fact not only a banker and Gonfalonier of Justice but also one of the richest merchants of Italy. To boost their principal activity as merchants the Ginori travelled widely in Europe, in South America and in the East.
As wool merchants in 1524 they trades-marked their wares with a mark which is now used for the wine produced today.

In the 18th century lived Carlo Andrea Ginori who was probably the most important member of the Ginori family, rich in talents and with a particular aptitude for business. He founded, in 1737, the historic porcelain factory of Doccia and he dedicated himself to the running of the estate near Cecina, which he had bought from the royal house of Lorena. He became Governor of Livorno and it is thanks to him that the Maremma marshes were drained, the area made habitable and the land used for agricultural purposes.

In 1786 Francesca Lisci married Marchese Lorenzo Ginori, and, being the last member of her family, she left to their son Carlo Leopoldo all her property, which included also Querceto, with the obligation to add the surname of Lisci to the one of Ginori.

During the 19th century the Ginori Lisci family distinguished itself by becoming one of the most representative of the new Italian industry, also thanks to the hard work and resourcefulness of Lorenzo, son of Carlo Leopoldo; the Doccia factory became a large industry with 500 workers so as to be fully competitive.

In the 20th century Lorenzo Ginori, grandfather of the present owners, dedicated himself to the agriculture greatly improving the conditions of his estates of Querceto and Doccia. After the Second World War he retired leaving his son Leonardo, who also was interested in agriculture and was therefore nominated as an “Accademico dei Georgofili”. He distinguished himself also as an art historian writing important books on the history of Doccia porcelain and of the many “Palazzi” in Florence.